Lauderdale County is located in the northwest corner of the state and is bordered by Tennessee, Mississippi, the Tennessee River, and Limestone County. The county was established in February 1818, and the city of Florence, the county seat, received its charter in 1819. James Madison and Andrew Jackson were early landowners. Ferdinand Sannover, an Italian engineer, was hired to lay out the city, and he chose the name Florence after his favorite city in Italy. Two acres outside the city proper, but within the town limits, were reserved for a cemetery with burials beginning in 1821.
Lauderdale County has approximately 300 known cemeteries with the Florence City Cemetery being the oldest in the city. Most have been surveyed and over 52,700 legible inscriptions have been recorded.
Information on county cemeteries is available in the Florence-Lauderdale Public Library. Information on burials in some county cemeteries located west of U.S. Highway 43 is available online at http://www.rootsweb.com/~allauder/index.htm. Information on cemeteries located east of U.S. Highway 43 may be found in the book Cemeteries of East Lauderdale County, Alabama. Copies of the book may be purchased from the Rogersville Public Library in Rogersville, Al. Thank you very much for visiting the Lauderdale County Page.
County Restoration Projects